Marina Holiday Apartments Bridlington
About Flamborough - 5 Miles from Bridlington
The massive peninsula of Flamborough is situated on the East coast of Yorkshire, England, and is approximately 5 miles from Bridlington. The peninsula forms one of the most impressive landscapes of this stretch of coastline. The headland extends into the wild North Sea by approximately 6 miles.
To the North spectacular Chalk cliffs stand proudly up to 400 feet high. They are home to one of the largest nesting sea bird colonies in England. To the East are sea caves, coves and stacks. Rocky outcrops reach out into the sea and have claimed many a passing ship in the past. To the South the cliffs become smaller, but look out across Bridlington Bay. It is possible to walk to or from Bridlington from the South Landing.
Flamborough has much to offer the rambler, historian, geologist, archaeologist, ornithologist, day-tripper and local. In the village are the fragmentary remains of Flamborough Castle, a medieval fortified manor house. The village has quaint pubs offering good food and drink. The headlan is a peaceful place, full of interest and enjoyment, which can often be missed by the casual observer.
The "new" Flamborough lighthouse (actually built in 1806) stands guard as a silent sentinel, protecting shipping off Flamborough Head. Less silently, the fog horn station, perched on the very cliff, sounds the arrival of fog and frets.
The lighthouse was built by John Matson of Bridlington without the use of scaffolding, is 85 feet tall and stands atop a chalk cliff 170 feet high. The lamp mechanism rotates constantly on a bed of mercury. Further back from the coast is the old Beacon light tower, dating from circa 1674, and the only known example in England. Recent restoration work has cast doubt on whether a fire was ever actually lighted atop the structure. It now stands, a gleaming monument to the rightful awe in which mariners beheld the jagged, dangerous coast.